Margaret Mary Community Hospital’s tradition of quality health care began in 1930 when the Hillenbrand family invited the Sisters of the Poor of St. Francis to open a hospital in Batesville. Two years later, the 50-bed acute care facility was designated Margaret Mary Hospital in honor or its two chief benefactors, Mrs. Margaret Hillenbrand and her daughter, Mrs. Mary Mitchell. For nearly 35 years, the hospital flourished and served the community well under the direction of the Sisters. However, in 1967, the Sisters announced that due to other commitments, they could no longer be responsible for its operation.
To continue providing quality patient care, the John A. Hillenbrand Foundation generously purchased and donated the hospital to a newly-formed community corporation. The not-for-profit hospital, under the leadership of the new local board of directors, changed its name to Margaret Mary Community Hospital to reflect this transition.
Over the years, the hospital has expanded its facilities and services to meet the increasingly complex healthcare needs of the community. In 1997, an off-site rehabilitation center was constructed to house the hospital’s outpatient therapies and orthopedic services. In 2005, The Hansen Center was opened which houses the hospital’s cancer services, as well as the Outpatient Clinic.
At a time when many rural hospitals are struggling to survive, Margaret Mary Community Hospital remains viable and poised for the future.